Beche-de-mer harvesting to end next month

Dried beche-de-mer

The Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources announced the period for harvesting beche-de-mer will close at the end of next month.

The ministry’s licensing division said yesterday the closing date is set for January 31, 2018.

MFMR Licensing Officer Selina Lipa said the public will be notified of any changes.

The ban on beche-de-mer harvesting and export was lifted earlier this year, and the ministry’s licensing committee approved four licenses to export the sea cucumber.

People in rural areas across the country are currently harvesting and selling beche-de-mer for income.

By Charlie Salini

Follow SIBC
Get every new post delivered to your inbox

Join other followers

Powered By