A man from Ainiko’a in West Kwaio, Malaita province has called on their Member of Parliament to do something about the more than a hundred food gardens – destroyed by the recent tropical cyclones – Pam and Raquel.
A Martin Fomauri said people’s food gardens have been destroyed by the recent cyclones.
Mr Fomauri said he had submitted a list of family names whose livelihoods had been devastated by both cyclones to the Auki-based provincial disaster office three weeks ago.
He adds, the officers there instead told him, all disaster assessments have been discontinued due to a Cabinet decision.
“I think it’s almost about three weeks ago, so while we waited I contacted the Provincial Disaster officer based at Auki, that’s on Monday 20th, last week and he told me that based on a recent Cabinet decision they will not be conducting disaster assessments anymore as $3.3 million have been approved for 33 Constituencies.”
Meanwhile, Mr Fomauri also questioned whether West Kwaio is among the 33 recipient Constituencies.
“Are we included in the 33 Constituencies or not? If we’re not included then I urged those responsible for the funds or our Member of Parliament to clarify to us, or else we are waiting in vain. Currently, as we speak people are trying their best to survive on food that is not ready, like swamp taro.”
SIBC News understands Cabinet has approved a $3.3 million disaster funding to 33 Constituencies to be administered by members of Parliament – a decision highly criticised by public commentators and Non-Government organisations.