BREAKING NEWS

Police appeal for information into alleged rape and murder of 8-year-old girl

Police investigators are still combing for evidence into the barbaric and gruesome killing of a eight year old girl at Western Province, and are appealing to the public to come forward with information that may assist them in their investigation.

Two suspects have already been subject to investigation and are currently detained at Gizo Police custody in Western Province as Police are still gathering evidence to lay formal charges. 

Police appeal to the public with information that may assist them in their investigation

 

The Police Media Unit confirmed they brought in three men today for questioning and later released them. The trio arrived in Honiara from Kolombangara in Western Province this morning via passenger vessel MV Fair Glory and were intercepted by Police when they arrived at Honiara’s Point Cruz seaport. 

The Police could not provide further details as to why the three men were taken in for questioning and were later released.

 “There was no arrest made this morning at Fair MV Glory at the Pt Cruz wharf in Honiara.  

“Investigation into the matter is still continuing and police are appealing to those who may have any information to assist investigators to bring those responsible to face the full force of the law,” the Police Media Unit confirmed.

On Monday 18 October 2021, a dead body of the 8-year old girl who went missing the previous week was found with wounds inside a swamp in Kolombangara Island, Western province, alleged to have been a victim of a brutal rape-murder.

Close relatives of the deceased confirmed to SIBC News that the correct age of the girl is eight and not seven as previously reported.

Reports reaching SIBC News had it that the deceased, a Sausepe Primary School student in South Kolombngara was walking home from school on Thursday 14 October, 2021 when she went missing and a search was conducted.

Meanwhile, Kolombangara community leaders were outraged by this heinous act and condemned in the strongest terms what was done to one of their children.

Speaking on their behalf, community leader Redley Diara said this killing is the second to have happened to their people, the first was committed in 2006 in the same area in South Kolombangara. 

“This endangers the lives of our women and children,” Reddy said while he was sobbing sorrowfully on the other end of the phone.

The news of the alleged rape-murder send shock waves and received wide condemnation across the country with commentators calling on responsible authorities to impose tougher laws for rapists. 

A grieving relative of the deceased who posted on social media said: “My heart ached so much knowing how hard it must have been for you to fight until your last breath.”

“Our communities are not safe today because of the behaviour of some men,” the relative, a female, said.

By Jared Koli

 

 

CATEGORIES
Share This