POLICE URGED FAMILIES TO BE CAREFUL WITH FIRE
The Police Commissioner, Frank Prendergast has urged families to be careful with fire, saying the dangers associated with fire are real.
The police commissioner made this call following a fatal fire incident which claimed the life of a boy in Honiara last weekend.
Reports say the boy was sleeping in the bedroom when the house caught fire from a gas stove in the kitchen.
Speaking to journalists this week, Police Commissioner Prendergast says people need to ensure their houses are safe.
“We need to ensure people make sure their houses are safe and do not have flammable items near them, such as burning rubbish bins, dead leaves or papers too close to the house. Ensuring that electrical items, appliances that can cause short circuits and sparks within the house are kept in good repair. And do not allow children to play with or near flammable items such as candle sticks, Tilly lamps matches, or electricity”.
The Police Commissioner also urged people to contact the fire brigade as soon as possible when there is a fire situation.